From We Are Norwich:
- We strongly oppose plans by the English Defence League to demonstrate in Norwich on the November 10.
- We believe that Islamophobia or bigotry against Muslims is as unacceptable as racism and we are strongly against any scapegoating given the backdrop of economic depression, unemployment and public spending cuts.
- We believe that the EDL are a racist and fascist group with many links to the BNP (including their leader Tommy Robinson, real name Stephen Yaxley Lennon of the BNP who has a string of convictions for violence).
- We fear that if the EDL come to Norwich there will be fear, violence and disruption to local business. We note that the EDL have recently disrupted Trade Union events, threatened Black and Asian people and attacked LGBT people at a Pride event in Bristol.
- We find it deeply hypocritical that the EDL are coming to Norwich because of the banning of a stall run by the Norwich Reformed Church - whose literature is Islamophobic and is the only group ever to protest at the city's Pride event.
- We will do all we can to prevent the EDL from coming to Norwich by leafleting and stalls/ exposing them through the media/ online/ holding multicultural events in the city/ and a LoveMusicHateHomophobia gig at Open and Public meetings.
- If the EDL still decide to come we will organise a peaceful counter demonstration in the centre of Norwich, working with the police and the local authorities.
The following people have signed up to our mission statement in a personal capacity so far and pledge support:
Norwich Labour Party
Norwich Green Party City Council Group
The Norwich Pride Collective
Josh Bowker (Union of UEA Students)
Kings Lynn Trades Council
Great Yarmouth Trades Council
Norwich Trades Council
Norfolk Coalition against the cuts
Norwich Stop the War Coalition
Unison Norfolk County Branch
USDAW (various branches)
David Peel (NUJ)
Norwich Unite Central LE/1880
Unite Great Yarmouth & District LE/142
Andrew Osborne Unite Norfolk & Suffolk Area Activists Committee
Unison branch (Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust)
Norfolk Division NUT
PCS Eastern Region
Julie Bremner (Unite against Fascism)
Matthew Fulton (Compass Youth)
Tim Knight Hughes (Norwich SWP)